Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A Most Peculiar Circumstance by Jen Turano

A Most Peculiar Circumstance

Title: A Most Peculiar Circumstance (Ladies of Distinction #2)
Author: Jen Turano
Pages: 344
Year: 2013
Publisher: Bethany House

     Before I start on my review of this book I’d like to explain how I first became interested in it. I had picked up the Novella that Jen Turano wrote to introduce her writing to the public, “Gentleman of Her Dreams” for my Kindle. It was free so why not try a new writer. I then saw that Jen was doing a Book Banter through Facebook and decided to get on and see what she had coming out. When she started talking about the main characters for this book (the one she was discussing) I knew that I had to get it. The hero is Theodore Wilder. With my husband’s name being Ted Wilder I couldn’t pass it up. I’m glad I didn’t.

     A very funny romantic comedy!

     Two members of New York’s high society meet in Gilman, Illinois in 1880. Miss Arabella Beckett has been traipsing around the country, on her own, in support of the women’s suffrage movement. She finds herself in a bit of trouble as she attempts to help another woman out. All she can think to do is pray asking God for help. Much to her frustration help arrives in the form of arrogant, narrow-minded, Mr. Theodore Wilder.

     Mr. Wilder is a private investigator extraordinaire who set out to do a favor for his good friend Hamilton Beckett. Mr. Beckett simply wanted his sister, Arabella, located and brought home in time for his wedding. The simple favor quickly became a lengthy assignment as Mr. Wilder had to chase her across the county.

     The story is filled with many hilarious antics as many of the members of high society seem to never stay out of trouble. The characters are well developed and very enjoyable. I loved learning how Theodore’s grandparents met. Naturally there had to be some villains to defeat. How else can the hero rescue the damsel in distress.

     If you are looking for well developed and accurate historical lessons in novel format you will be hugely disappointed. If on the other hand you are looking for a light entertaining comedy to put a smile on your face then this is the book to read.

     I thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommend it! I give it a 5 star rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment