Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Jamberry by Bruce Degen

Title: Jamberry
Author: Bruce Degen
Pages: 32
Year: 1982 (original publication date)
Genre: Children’s Picture Book
Publisher: HarperFestival
Format: Available in Hardback, Board Book, and Kindle

     This post has a story behind it. I want to share it with all of you.


     We purchased this book for our newest grandson for Christmas. He is 4 months old and absolutely adorable! (Every grandma says that about each of her grandchildren.) We had it shipped directly to them and chatted online about the gift. I’m including that conversation and photos.



     Thanks for the book, Grandma and Grandpa! I'll read it to Mommy and Daddy right now! (book review to follow)





     Well JJ,  we’re waiting for the book review. You need to post it on Grandma’s blog. (Grandpa had to chime in.)

Guest Review by Baby JJ: (with help from his mom)

     Jamberry, by Bruce Degen
      A review by Baby JJ

     Jamberry, by Bruce Degen is a lovely tale of berries, a boy, and a bear. Without wanting to give too much away, I can tell you that there are words, pictures, a beginning and an end. For out three part scaling system - readability, durability, and taste-a-bility - Jamberry holds its own. Despite a lack of opportunity for Mommy to make silly voices, there is a certain whimsy to the flow of rhymes throughout that allows for many a cute baby reaction. The sturdy pages hold up well to sticky fingers and spit up while providing a lovely flavor for teething mouths. I do have to deduct one baby giggle, for although the taste is delightful, and I have no frame of reference, I’m pretty sure this is not what berries taste like. All in all, a perfect gift for any baby. 4 out of 5 baby giggles.

My review: (the boring grownup one)

     This is a delightful book for pre-schoolers!

     I read this MANY time to my own children (including JJ's mom, she squealed when they opened the gift) when they were little. I have loved buying it for each of them when they have a baby. I've lost track of how many copies I've purchased over the years but it never loses its charm.

     A boy and his bear friend are romping through the pages looking for berries of all kinds. The pictures are beautiful! They are bright and colorful and keep a child's attention very well. The words rhyme even though sometimes it feels like a word had to be made up to do so.

     I am obviously giving this wonderful book a 5-star rating and highly recommending it.

No comments:

Post a Comment