Thursday, January 13, 2022

Riding Through Shadows by Sharon Ewell Foster


Title: Riding Through Shadows

Author: Sharon Ewell Foster

Pages: 350

Year: 2001

Genre: Christian Fiction

Publisher: Multnomah

Format: Paperback


About the book:


     Living in one of the most tumultuous decades of America’s history, an eight-year-old African American girl experiences the anguish of real-life heartache: she loses her beloved father in the Vietnam War, endures the dissolution of her family, and faces the challenge of integration. Yet, through a wise and eccentric old woman, she also discovers the tenacity of joy. A powerful, eye-opening read!


My review:


     This is an incredible thought provoking story!


     Most of the way through this book I wanted to just wrap my arms around Shirley and comfort her. She had more problems and heart ache than I could even imagine. The author did an amazing job of making the difficulties that African Americans dealt with in the late 1960s come alive for me. I had heard some of what they faced but now I have a much deeper understanding of it.


     I loved Mother Johnson. She was an amazingly wise woman. I was fascinated by the fact that though she was a black woman living in Tyler, Texas in 1969, there were white people that came to her with their problems seeking wisdom. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the scripture (without references) and discussion of God that came out in this book. I found many things that were an encouragement to me for my own life.


     I borrowed this book from the library of a small church that we have started visiting occasionally. I’m really glad that I did. I’m giving this wonderful book a rating of 5 stars. I highly recommend it if you are able to find a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment