Thursday, May 12, 2016

Honor (Quaker Brides #1) by Lyn Cote













Title: Honor (Quaker Brides #1)
Author: Lyn Cote
Pages: 375
Year: 2014
Genre: Historical Fiction
Publisher: Tyndale House
Format: eBook (also available in paperback)

About the book:

     When unexpected circumstances leave Honor Penworthy destitute after the death of her grandfather, she is forced to leave her Maryland plantation – and the slaves she hoped to free – and seek refuge with a distant relative. With no marketable skills, her survival hinges on a marriage arranged through the Quaker community to local glass artisan Samuel Cathwell. Samuel is drawn to Honor, but he has been unwilling to open his heart to anyone since scarlet fever took his hearing as a child.

     A move west brings the promise of a fresh start, but nothing in Honor’s genteel upbringing has prepared her for the rigors of frontier life with Samuel. Nevertheless, her tenacity and passion sweep her into important winds of change, and she becomes increasingly – though secretly – involved in the Underground Railroad. Samuel suspects Honor is hiding something, but will uncovering the truth confirm his worst fears or truly bring them together as man and wife?

     Set against the backdrop of dramatic and pivotal moments in American history, the Quaker Brides series chronicles the lives of three brave heroines, fighting to uphold their principles of freedom while navigating the terrain of faith, family, and the heart.

My review:

     An incredible history lesson in a novel!

     This is the first full-length book in what I believe is going to be a “true” series. There is a prequel novella that is in eBook format only. I did read the novella first and it gives a lot of insight into who Honor Penworthy is and her relationship with her grandfather.

     I absolutely love the detail of the main characters. There was a wonderful variety among them and each one was very rich and three dimensional. I felt like I knew them individually and wasn’t just reading a story about them.

     The plight of women and slaves in 1819-20 is so well presented that my heart broke for them throughout this book. I also had never thought about how a deaf person would have been viewed and treated during this time period before reading this story. It was truly an eye-opening book for me.

     I knew before reading this story that the issue of abolition was a very touchy subject. It really came alive for me though more than just being a phrase I had heard. The anguish that many of the characters went through when discussing it was palpable!

     I really love this book and have to give it a rating of 5 stars. I’m highly recommending it.

     You can find out more about Lyn and her books on her website at: http://booksbylyncote.com/SWBS/

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I'll have to check this one out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for such an indept review. Appreciated!

    ReplyDelete